Union Building Trades Standard for Excellence
Brothers and Sisters, Construction Users, Contractors & Community Members
Outlined is the Union Building Trades Standard for Excellence policy. This policy sets forth the fundamental principals underlying all that we do in the Building Trades
This policy not only outlines the obligations of Building Trades Members on the job, it also spells out the obligations of our signatory contractors as well. In this way, we are making it clear to all parties –Including Construction Owners- that we are dedicated to doing the best job possible.
Our Building Trades Affiliate Unions are, with out doubt, the best professional constructors in the world. Let’s keep it that way by following the principals contained in our Standard of Excellence.
Member & Local Union Responsibilities:
- Meet their responsibility to their employer and fellow workers by arriving on the job ready to work, every day on time (Absenteeism and tardiness will not be tolerated).
- Adhere to contractual starting and quitting times, including lunch and break periods (Personal cell phones will not be used during the work day with the exception of lunch or break periods)
- Meet their responsibilities as highly skilled craft workers by providing required tools as stipulated under the local Collective Bargaining Agreement while respecting those tools supplied by your employer.
- Use and promote local union and international training & certification programs, thus ensuring Union Craft Workers are the most highly educated and sought after workers.
- Be productive and keep inactive time to a minimum
- Respect Customers property
- Respect the Union, the Customer, the Client and the Contractor by dressing in a manner appropriate for our highly skilled and professional craft (Offensive words and symbols on clothing are not acceptable)
- Meet their responsibility to be fit for duty, ensuring a zero tolerance policy for substance abuse is strictly met
- Follow safe, reasonable and legitimate management directives.
Employer & Management Responsibilities:
- Ensure that all necessary tools and equipment are ready available to employees
- Minimize workers down time by ensuring blue prints, specifications; job layout instructions and material are ready and available in a timely manner.
- Provide proper storage for employer and employee tools
- Provide the necessary leadership and problem solving skills to jobsite supervision.
- Ensure jobsite leadership takes the necessary ownership of mistakes created by management decisions
- Encourage employees, but if necessary be fair and consistent with discipline.
- Create and maintain a safe work environment by providing site specific training, proper equipment and following occupational health and safety guidelines.
- Promote and support continued education and training for employees while encouraging career building skills
- Employ an adequate number of properly trained employees to efficiently perform the work in a safe manner while limiting the number of employees to the work at hand, thereby providing the customer with a key performance indicator of the value of Union Building Trades Standard for Excellence.
- Treat all employees in a respectful and dignified manner, acknowledging their contributions to a successful project.
- Cooperate and communicate with the job steward
- Provide worker recognition for a job well job